Health and safety Procedures

Through consultation with employees Council has developed a library of Safe Work Procedures and Safe Work Method Statements.

Contractors handbook

As a contractor you have been issued with the contractors handbook which has been designed to outline the requirements for all workers working in Council workplaces, both fixed and mobile.  As a contractor you are responsible for ensuring your workers and/or subcontractors have received adequate instruction, information, training and supervision to perform the works in a safe manner.  This includes training on the policies, procedures and protocols outlined in the contractors handbook.

Council has a library of high risk safe work method statements and safe work procedures that have been developed inline with legislation, codes of practice and SafeWork NSW guidance notes.  The documents are available for you or your workers to be inducted into should you need them to complete the works to be undertaken.

Operating loadshifting equipment

Verification of competency (VOC)

Under the Work Health and Safety (WHS) legislation that came into effect from 30 September 2011, operators in NSW no longer need a high risk work licence to operate the following loadshifting items of plant:
•    front end loader (LL)
•    front end loader/backhoe (LB)
•    front end loader of the skid steer type (LS)
•    excavator (LE).
The person conducting a business or undertaking (PCBU) or controllers of plant must ensure that the operators have received adequate information and training, and/or are supervised, so that any risks to health and safety are minimised.

The amount of information, instruction, training and/or supervision required should take into account the complexity of the tasks, the operator’s current skills and ability, and other workers on site. Ongoing training should be provided to maintain the operator’s competency level and ensure new workers are able to work safely.
Training can be formal or informal, or a combination of both. Formal training includes completing a nationally recognised course delivered by a registered training organisation (RTO) for a specific type of plant, or training at an industry training school.  Informal training includes on-the-job training delivered or supervised by a competent person, or in-house job-specific training that involves the plant and hazards associated with the plant.
SafeWork NSW recommends that a person who is inexperienced should operate loadshifting plant under the supervision of a competent person.

Operator competency:

 To assist determine an operator’s competency, appropriate training or experience could include that they:
•    hold a previous certificate of competency issued by a regulator, such as SafeWork NSW
•    hold a statement of attainment or other nationally recognised qualification for the type of plant they will be operating
•    have completed training at an industry training school, or hold an industry competency card for the relevant item of plant
•    have been trained on-the-job by an experienced and competent person
•    demonstrate experience and competency, which can be verified by a previous employer.
The PCBU (or controller) must also assess that an operator’s current level of competency is appropriate for the complexity of the work and the conditions of the worksite.




Other Websites